What can I do to improve my stroke recovery? Stroke Talk Q&A Show

In today's show I want to introduce to you a stroke recovery strategy Rebecca (my wife) suggested I use and why I think I have been failing to achieve my personal stroke recovery I hoped for and here's why.

You see, I have had more of a shotgun approach to my stroke recovery. I have had more of a 
"I will recover over time" approach.

Here's how Rebecca puts it.

My stroke recovery is like climbing a set of stairs. 

We all start at the bottom of the stairs 
(Loss of an ability because of stroke) 

The top of of the stairs, is that ability we'd like to recover. (our recovery goal)

The recovery problem.
I, for the past 8 years I have desired to recover certain abilities. 
But without a detailed specific strategy I have fallen way short of my stroke recovery desire.

So when Rebecca compared my stroke recovery to climbing a set of stairs, a light went on!
I knew she was right!

At the top of the stairs is a specific recovery goal.

As Rebecca put it, you want to get to the top of the stairs without taking the needed small steps it takes to get to the top of the stairs and achieve a specific recovery goal.

So in today's show, I want to make this a community effort. Let's all support each other to recover!

The way this stroke recovery strategy works.
Everyone is to get a notebook (must write if possible, no computers) part of our recovery is learning to write again.

Title your notebook "My Stroke Recovery Book"
At the top of the first three pages write your top three abilities you would like to recover.
Begin to prioritize your recovery.

My top 3 are:

  1. Gain total independence
  2. Walk
  3. Drive


Now, below your goal begin to build or write down doable small steps it will take to achieve that specific main big goal. Basically start building small steps that will lead you to achieve your bigger goal.

In next week's show I would like us to come together as a community and share our stroke recovery goal books with each other.

Join me in next week's live stream.
If you have a camera and mic or laptop and you're willing to join my live stream, I can have up to 7 guests in my live stream. I want you to share your recovery book with the community.
Leave your name in comments and I'll contact you with the details.
(note all participants must have a Google Account)

Please tell your friends about my show.

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.

And most of all,
Stay awesome!

Love energy your way,
Your bro,
Aaron 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Content Does Stroke TV Media Offer Stroke Survivors? Updated 5-27-23

Stroke TV Media Theme Song.